Martha Ann Bell
Faculty, Department of Psychology
Faculty, Developmental Science
Faculty, Biological Psychology
Faculty/Consultant, Child Study Center
Director, CAP Lab
- since 2010 --- Professor of Psychology, Virginia Tech
- 2001-2010 --- Associate Professor of Psychology, Virginia Tech
- 1996-2001 --- Assistant Professor of Psychology, Virginia Tech
- 1993-96 --- Visiting Assistant Prof of Psychology, Univ of South Carolina
- 1993 --- Research Associate, Child Dev Research Lab, Univ of Maryland
- 1992 --- Ph.D., Human Development, Univ of Maryland
- 1983 --- M.S., Child and Family Studies, Univ of Tennessee
- 1978 --- B.S., Home Economics, Carson-Newman College
- Developmental changes in brain-behavior relations during infancy and early childhood; developmental cognitive neuroscience and developmental psychophysiology (executive function, emotion regulation, EEG, ECG); individual differences in development; integration of cognition and emotion in early development.
- 6944 - Advanced Topics in Developmental Psychology (different topic each time; spring 2014 - "Early Development of Self Regulation")
- 5544 - Cognitive Development ("Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience")
- 4034- Advanced Developmental Psychology (infant & child; cognitive development & social development)
- Cuevas, K., Rajan, V., Morasch, K.D., & Bell, M.A. (early on-line publication, 2015). Episodic memory and future thinking during early childhood: Linking the past and future. Developmental Psychobiology. doi:10.1002/dev.21307
- Deater-Deckard, K., Li, M., & Bell, M.A. (early on-line publication, 2015). Multi-faceted emotion regulation, stress, and affect in mothers of young children. Cognition and Emotion.doi:10.1080/026999931
- Chen, N., Bell, M.A., & Deater-Deckard, K. (2015). Maternal frontal EEG asymmetry and chronic stressors moderate the link between child behavior problems and maternal negativity. Social Development, 24, 323-340.
- Lukowski, A.F., & Bell, M.A. (2015). On sleep and development: Recent advances and future directions. In M. El-Sheikh (Ed.), Sleep and development: Advancing theory and research. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 80(1), 182-195.
- Patriquin, M., Lorenzi, J., Scarpa, A., Calkins, S., & Bell, M.A. (2015). Broad implications for respiratory sinus arrhythmia development: Associations with childhood symptoms of psychopathology in a community sample. Developmental Psychobiology, 57, 120-130.
- Rajan, V., & Bell, M.A. (2015). Developmental changes in fact and source recall: Contributions from executive function and brain electrical activity. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, 12, 1-11.