Faculty, Department of Psychology
Core Faculty, Clinical Science
Faculty, Developmental Science
Supervising Faculty, Psychological Services Center
Director, Child Study Center
Faculty, VT Center for Autism Research
Director, Child Assesment Clinic
I was born in rural Nebraska and reared on the family farm. The fourth of seven children, I am married, the father of two grown daughters, and the grandfather of six. My family has always come first in my life. My wife, Mary, and I are fortunate to be in good health and to be able to travel throughout the world and to spend summer and winter vacations with our children and their families.
In addition to traveling, my personal interests include gardening, photography, archeology, and most recently cycling.
In many respects, my students constitute an extended family. I maintain contact with many of them, enjoy learning about their personal and professional accomplishments, and continue to collaborate with them following graduation from VT.
- 1999-2015 University Distinguished Professor and Director Child Study Center, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
- 1996-1999 Professor and Director Child Study Center, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
- 1996-1997 Sabbatical Leave, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- 1988-1989 Sabbatical Leave, Institute of Psychiatry, University of London, London, UK
- 1984-1996, Professor and Director of Clinical Training, Department of Psychology, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
- 1980-1984 Associate Professor, Department of Psychology, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
- 1978-1979 Sabbatical Leave, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 1972-1979 Assistant to Associate Professor, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, Indiana
- 1971-1972 Postdoctoral Fellow in Clinical Child Psychology, Institute for Training and Research, Devereux Foundation, Devon, Pennsylvania
- 1967-1971 Ph.D. Clinical Psychology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
- 1963-1967 B.S. Psychology, Loras College, Dubuque, Iowa
- My research and professional interests center upon clinical child and adolescent psychology, developmental psychopathology, cognitive behavior therapy, and social learning theory.